Requirements for the Sociology B.A.
The Sociology major is designed to take four semesters to complete.
|SOCI 201: Introduction to Sociology (GE D)||3|
|SOCI 300: Sociological Research Methods
Prerequisite: SOCI 201 (GE D)
|SOCI 375: Sociological Theory
Prerequisite: SOCI 201 (GE D)
|MATH 165 (GE B4) or SOCI 301 (GE UD B)
SOCI 301 Prerequisites: GE Golden Four (A1, A2, A3, B4) w/ C- or better, B1, B2, and 45 units
|Sociological Experience Course||4|
|SOCI 498: Senior Seminar
Prerequisites: SOCI 201, SOCI 300, SOCI 375, MATH 165/SOCI 301, 12 addit’l Soci units; graduating senior. WIC Course: Meets University’s GWAR Requirement
|Total Core Units||23|
|Elective Courses (no minimum grade)||20|
|Total Minimum Units in the Major||43|
Majors must take one of the following courses or another course designated by the Sociology Department as meeting the statistics requirement.
- MATH 165 – Elementary Applied Statistics (GE B4)
- SOCI 301 – Statistics and Society (GE UD B) Prerequisites: GE Golden Four (A1, A2, A3, B4) w/ C- or better, B1, B2, and 45 units
Sociological Experience Requirement
The Sociological Experience requirement provides students with opportunities to develop awareness of social issues, use sociological perspectives and methods to address social problems, engage with the community outside of the university, develop experiences that provide job skills, and enhance their knowledge about careers. Majors must take at least one course designated as meeting the requirement.
- SOCI 306 – Careers in Sociology
- SOCI 336 – Investigative Sociology
- SOCI 388 – Selected Topics in Service Learning
- SOCI 460 – Social Work in the Social World
- SOCI 482 – Environmental Justice and Policy
- SOCI 496 – Internship Practicum (Concurrent with SOCI 499)
|General Education Courses in Sociology||GE Area|
|SOCI 201 – Introduction to Sociology (3)||D: Social Sciences|
|SOCI 263 – Sociology of Race and Ethnicity (3)||D: Social Sciences + Ethnic Studies|
|SOCI 301 – Statistics and Society (4)||UD B: Science-Quantitative Reasoning|
|SOCI 326 – Social Psychology (3)||UD D: Social Sciences|
|SOCI 431 – Sociology of Religion (3)||UD C: Arts-Humanities|
|SOCI 457 – Inequality and Institutions (3)||UD D: Social Sciences|
Notes on Major Requirements
- To declare the sociology major, a student must (1) have an overall minimum GPA of 2.5 and (2) have completed a sociology course with a minimum grade of C-.
- Interim policy through 2022-23: Sociology is an impacted major. In order to declare the sociology major or minor, students must (1) have an overall GPA of 2.0 or higher and (2) have completed a sociology course, have a sociology course in progress, or intend to enroll in a sociology course.
- Students must complete the major using the catalog requirements in place at the time they declare the major.
- Minimum Grade of C-: Students must earn a C- in each core course. There is no minimum grade for electives.
- SOCI 300 and 375 Prerequisite: SOCI 201 (with a minimum grade of C-)
- SOCI 301 Prerequisites: GE Golden Four (A1, A2, A3, B4) w/ C- or better, B1, B2, and at least 45 units
- SOCI 300 and SOCI 375 Recommendation: do not enroll in these classes in the same semester.
- SOCI 498 Prerequisites: SOCI 201, SOCI 300, SOCI 375, MATH 165/SOCI 301 (each with a minimum grade of C-); 12 additional Sociology units; senior standing. Students must have filed (and be eligible) for graduation in the semester in which they plan to take SOCI 498. In practice, in order to enroll in SOCI 498, students must have completed all major requirements other than two 4-unit sociology electives and SOCI 498 itself.
- Lower Division Work: Sociology majors may apply up to eight units of lower-division sociology credit towards the major. Of these eight units, no more than four may be non-SSU transfer credit. If a lower division course is used to meet the statistics requirement, it does not count against either of these limits.
- Contract Courses: Students may take up to eight units of SOCI 499 (Internship), but only four units will count toward the major. Students may take up to eight units each of SOCI 490 (Teaching Assistant), 493 (Research Assistant), and 495 (Special Studies), but only four combined units of SOCI 490, 493, and 495 will count toward the major.
- General Education: Sociology GE courses may be used to meet both Sociology requirements and GE requirements at the same time.
- Letter Grades: Courses for the major must be taken for a letter grade (A-F), except when not available in the A-F mode.